Monday, September 1, 2008

Our First Day of School

While it would be nice to say that our first day of homeschooling went perfectly, with bird singing and my children laughing and enjoying mine and each others company, sadly it would be a down right lie. In all honesty it was pretty rotten, although not as bad as last year when we tried out a co-op preschool and I spent 2 hours in a basement cutting out construction paper frogs. It started out innocent enough giving P some kitchen utensils to play with, and L sitting intently ready to gobble up every word I read. Then P started flipping out crying, climbing onto the table, distracting her sister and yeah we barely made it through. We only did about 20 minutes worth of actual stuff, but P made it nearly impossible. So after that I figured that we would do a craft afterwards, which I think I liked a lot more then the girls did. We made some crayon melts.

Crayon Melts:
Take old broken crayon and peel any remaining paper
Line muffin tin with baking cups (like the ones use for cupcakes)
Pile the cups full with different colored crayon pieces
Bake in a 200 degree oven until they melt
Take out and allow them to cool

After the homeschooling catastrophe I called my mom to complain (yep I'm a big whiner). She mentioned maybe giving P some play dough the next day. I said no way she just eats it, so she mentions making peanut butter play dough. WHAT???? Peanut butter play dough, I've never heard of such a thing (obviously I have since my mom made it for me as a kid, but I have no conscious recollection). So I got all excited and got up to make it right away, I didn't let the girls play with it so that it will fresh and exciting for tomorrow, although L did taste it.
Peanut Butter Play Dough
1 cup peanut butter (I used natural)
2 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 of honey

Mix together with your hands, until it looks like the picture above, you may use more powdered sugar to make it not as sticky. Store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Oh course I had to play with it a little just to make sure it worked!
Finally finished Ls birthday cape, why I decided to put some much work into a felt cape I have no idea, sometimes I need to think about these things before I just go flying off on my inspiration. I hand sewed the yellow decals all along both sides of the front.
This crown is hand sewn on the back right below Ls name which is also hand sewn on. It took forever, but I think she's really going to love it, and that make it totally worth it.

No comments: